"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Eating and sleeping are a waste of time."

The above quote was made by the late U.S. president Gerald Rudolph "Jerry" Ford and could not be more incorrect when it comes to bodybuilding, lifting, strength training or any form of athletic training in general.

A proper diet and the right amount of sleep are key factors to get the most out of the tedious efforts you are putting in at the gym.

During the "off-season", I am following a meal plan which factors in my body weight, as well as body fat content to help me increase lean muscle mass. In one of my previous posts I went a little bit more into detail on this plan. While I usually stick to this plan most of the time, I allow myself a "window" every once in a while to enjoy a "cheat meal" or something sweet.

Now that I am dieting for a show, all those "cheat meals" are history and my food intake got even more boring and strict. My plan calls for 8 meals per day, including pre-and post-workout meals. Since I am basically required to eat every 2 hours, proper preparation and planning is key. I usually prepare my three main meals (chicken and brown rice, chicken and vegetables) the night before, pack it into plastic containers and just take it to work the next day. For the afternoon Protein Shake, I keep an extra container of protein and a Protein Shaker Cup at work. While I am preparing the food for the next day I also make dinner and eat it while the other food is cooking.

PROTEIN:
To meet my daily protein requirements, I am relying on Whey Protein Isolate, which I mix with water and consume 3 times a day, Casein, chicken, lean red meat and occasionally tuna.
Whey Protein Isolate is a dietary supplement created by filtering milk protein. Since it is quickly absorbed by the body and used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis, it is the perfect protein for my pre-and post-workout meals.

Casein
is a slow digesting protein and provides a sustained slow release of amino acids into the body's blood stream. This release can last for several hours, depending on the composition, and helps to maintain the muscles in an anabolic state. It is my choice of protein right before going to bed, since it will provide my body with protein for muscle recovery and growth during my sleep.
My main source of protein is chicken breast, of which I currently consume three meals of 10 ounces each. To keep costs manageable, I purchase a 10 lbs. bag of frozen chicken once a week and just throw it on my George Foreman Grill.
To get some variation and fat in my diet, I have an 8 ounce piece of lean red meat for dinner.One of the leanest cuts of beef is the so-called "eye round", which I purchase as a roast, trim off the excessive fat and cut into 8 ounce pieces. In case I did not have time to prepare chicken or feel like eating something different, I always keep a couple cans of tuna (obviously in water) at home.
Protein makes up the majority of my daily caloric intake with around 54%.

CARBOHYDRATES:
I have tried different foods to meet my daily carb intake, such as yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice and oats, but out of sheer laziness and measuring convenience I stuck with plain oats and brown rice, as well as Carbohydrate Powder. I buy everything in bulk and just measure whatever I need.
For my pre-workout meal I have 1.5 cups of oatmeal mixed with my Whey Protein and water and for faster absorption after my workout, I mix Carbohydrate Powder with Whey Protein and water for my post-workout meal.The 10am and 12:30 meals consist each of 1.5 cups of brown rice with chicken.
By now it should become obvious that I probably lack any taste buds in my mouth, so it should not come to a surprise that I actually enjoy plain oats in water or reheated brown rice. However to add some taste to my oats, I usually mix them with my Whey Protein, some cinnamon and Stevia or a spoon of Calorie Free Caramel Dip and to my reheated brown rice I like to add some Calorie Free Barbecue Sauce. When your diet is that plain, every tiny, little bit of additional flavor is amazing.
Carbs make up roughly 34% of the calories I eat every day and consumed with the first four meals of the day.

FATS:
My daily intake of fats is currently very minimal, with most of it coming from meat (chicken and beef) or in form of healthy omega-3 fatty acids from Flaxseed Oil Pills.
Calories from fats account for approximately 12% of my daily calories.


VEGETABLES:
To get more vitamins and also add some "volume" to my meals, I have two meals daily to which I add two cups of vegetables. I keep it here with the rule "the greener, the better" and switch between green beans, lettuce, spinach and broccoli. Again, mainly out of convenience, I buy them frozen and in bulk.

A detailed version of my current "pre-contest diet" can be found in the "FREE NUTRITION PLANS" section on the right hand side.

Besides proper nutrition, rest is one of the most essential principles of performance enhancement and oftentimes overlooked. Ones sleeping habits can seriously affect the body's own muscle building potential and prevent one from reaching his or her full potential.
Muscle adaption or in other words muscle growth is occurring during the recovery time after workouts and not during them. Rest periods give the body time to repair muscle tissues and replenish the muscles' energy stores.

While not getting enough sleep is detrimental in the long-term and has serious negative effects on ones athletic progress, mood and overall health, too much sleep can make one lethargic and slow. By sleeping longer, the body also has to go longer without food and much needed nutrients cannot reach the muscles. A great way to provide continuous "fuel" for your muscles at night is by taking the above mentioned Casein before bedtime.

Recent studies recommend that athletes should sleep for 8-9 hours to give their bodies and minds enough time to rest, recover and refresh. I have discovered that my body reacts best to 6-7 hours of sleep at night.

Sleep, Eat, Train, Repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...