"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Everything is Bigger in Texas

Last week I had to travel again for work. Destination this time: Dallas, TX .
After my work assignment in Dallas was over, I spent a couple of days in Fort Worth and explored the area. Since I still had to lift, I simply combined sightseeing and working out and headed  to the famous Metroflex Gym in nearby Arlington, TX. 
Metroflex is THE bodybuilding mecca in the Lonestar State and home to legendary bodybuilders such as 8 times Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman, Branch Warren and Johnnie Jackson. 
The gym labels itself as a hardcore training facility and hardcore it definitely is. An old garage with concrete floors, rusty weights, worn out equipment, yellowed pictures the 1980's and an incredibly intense atmosphere. Just by walking into the place you can feel the intensity and the urge to perform. 
I always considered the Trainingcenter, my second "home", pretty bad ass, but compared to Metroflex, with its dirty floors, shared co-ed bathroom, and rusty equipment, it almost looks like the family YMCA. 
As I walked in I saw a girl running out looking for the next available trash can and throwing up. I just smiled and thought: "Yes, this is exactly where I parked my car. My kind of gym, now let's get started". 
I did my regular leg workout but left out squats since I couldn't fit my heavy powerlifting belt in my tiny carry-on bag and learned my lesson more than twice to not squat without a belt. My leg workout was inspired by Branch Warren's routine, so it was kind of cool doing the exercises on the same pieces of equipment.
After my grueling leg session I had the opportunity to watch another "Metroflex celebrity" benching over 600 lbs raw and left more than impressed this inconspicuous high intensity training facility in one of Arlington's back alleys. 







 





                                


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...