"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ya Man!

Jamaica, vacation, beach, sun, all-inclusive resort, best friend's wedding. 
Not necessarily the greatest conditions for an all-natural bodybuilder in the middle of his contest preparation.

Despite countless temptations in form of jerk chicken, fruits, juices, endless dessert buffets and open bars, I somehow managed to stay strong and did not give in. Just looking at my pictures of the trip and thinking back of the sheer endless food selection at the various restaurants, I am still amazed and surprised by my own will power and self-discipline. 

Temptations, temptations, temptations!!!
 Even though the buffet selection was catering to the taste of the average vacationer and not really to the low crab, low fat diet of an "in-season" bodybuilder, I was still able to somewhat eat "clean". Okay, I had to cut some corners, for example instead of my "beloved" brown rice I had to go with its high glycemic "white" cousin, but overall I stuck to my meal plan, portion sizes and eating times. 

Again planning and preparation was key to keep on track during this trip. 
Just as I did for my trip to Germany, I prepared chicken and brown rice for the flight and packed it along with some extra low carb protein bars in my carry-on luggage. Having extra food proved to be good idea, since my flight was overbooked and I was rerouted with a three hour delay. 
Since I knew that I was staying at a resort with limited opportunities to go grocery shopping and the trip would only be for a long weekend, I also packed enough whey protein, casein and even dry oats to provide enough protein and good carbs. Protein powder and creatine packaged in zip lock bags and a plastic container full with minerals, vitamins, BCAA and weight loss pills surely caused some raised eyebrows at customs but "whatcha gonna do"? 
Being the "meathead" I am, I even packed my protein shaker bottle, a plastic spoon and a 1/2 cup measuring cup. "Crazy is, who crazy does". 

So while I felt confident that I was prepared from a nutrition point of view, I also planned ahead in terms of working out. 
I did some research online about what to expect in terms of facilities to train at and adjusted my workout accordingly. Due to the limited amount of pictures and bad experiences with hotel gyms from previous trips I had to assume the "worst" and was expecting maybe one or two pieces of cardio equipment and maybe if I was lucky some free weights. 
So instead of my regular routine, I postponed my Wednesday cardio and abs session to Thursday night and replaced it with Friday's leg workout. Going heavy back-to-back-to-back-to back without an active rest day also required a slight change in my Tuesday back routine to avoid injury or overtraining (Now how often can you spot the word "back" in the previous sentence?). Instead of dead lifts I did barbell bent-over rows to not put too much stress on my hamstrings and lower back, before hitting them hard with squats the next day. Thursday morning was business as usual and Thursday night at 2am I had the great idea to do abs and cardio. 

After my arrival at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach in Montego Bay on Friday my first "excursion" led me to the hotel gym and I was actually positively surprised of what I saw. State-of-the-art Life Fitness cardio equipment, a real bench, a Smith machine, a good amount of free weights, dumbbells going up to 60 lbs. and machines for every major muscle group were more than I expected from a "hotel gym". 
After catching some sun, I did my 45 minutes of cardio on Friday and met up with my friends for dinner. Saturday I was able to get a solid arm and cardio workout in and Sunday I did my active rest training. The equipment actually even proved to be sufficient to get a half-way decent chest workout in on Monday, before I finished off my stay with some more pool time and a nice sunburn. 


Again I "survived" another trip but after seeing the amounts and especially the quality of food and the impressive beverage selection I will definitely make sure to book an all-inclusive trip again and that time I will make sure that I will not be living on grilled chicken, brown rice, oatmeal and broccoli. 

So instead of the usual lame bathroom mirror self-portrait, how about a picture update straight from the Caribbean?

No Problem, Man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...