"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

Sunday, April 8, 2012

What sup?

No I do not suffer from slight dyslexia and misspelled "What's up?".
Today I want to talk a little bit about supplements and my experience with them.
First of all I want to clarify that dietary supplements are exactly what their name implies, "supplements". They can never replace "normal food" and can only work in addition to a well-planned diet or meal plan.
There is a whole bunch of sports nutrition, vitamins, minerals, dietary supplements, etc. on the market and it can be difficult to figure out which ones are necessary, which ones can help you and which ones are just bogus.

After years of personal experience with various products and manufacturers, as well as reading more on the topic, I have narrowed down the field to a handful of essential vitamins, minerals and supplements that proved to work well for me.

Since everybody and also every BODY is different, what works for one might not work for another and vice versa. Since I am nowhere close to being a licensed dietician, nutrition or doctor of any sort, do not mistake this post as any sort of medical or dietary advice. I am just writing about my own personal experience.

Due to the various ingredients, my "pre-contest stack" varies slightly from the supplements I am taking in the "off-season".

What basically remains the same, besides the obvious Whey Protein Isolate (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein) and the nighttime Casein (Syntrax Matrix ), are the vitamins (Kirkland Signature Daily Multi Vitamins & Minerals Tablets taken twice a day), Glucosamine (Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Glucosamine HCI with MSM for joint health), Fiber (Metamucil Sugar Free), Iron (Feosol Ferrous Sulfate Iron Supplement ), Flaxseed Oil (TruNature Organic Flaxseed Oil), Calcium (Kirkland Signature Calcium with Vitamin D3), Magnesium (Nature Made High Potency Magnesium ), Branch Chain Amino Acids (Gaspari Nutrition BCAA), Glutamine (Optimum Nutrition Glutamine),Alpha Lipoic Acid (Source Naturals ALA) and ZMA (NOW Foods ZMA).

During the off-season I experienced great gains with the GASPARI Nutrition product line. Besides a whey protein/carb mix, I also included Gaspari SuperPump Max to my pre-workout "meal" and felt the promised increase in endurance, as well as focus and "pump". Over a period of eight consecutive weeks I have also used Gaspari SizeOn Maximum Performance during my workouts, as well as Gaspari Viridex XT to increase lean muscle mass with more than satisfying results.

Now that I am preparing for a competition and following a more strict diet, I have dropped all of these products, due to their sugar content, etc., and replaced SuperPump with "regular" Creatine Monohydrate Powder. Since my goal is to decrease my body fat and maintain as much lean muscle mass as possible, I have also added OxyElite Pro, a weight loss product, to my "stack" and take it now twice a day for the next eight weeks.

Along with my carbohydrate reduced meal plan and increased cardio, I am already seeing some improvements in my physique and a drop in body weight of almost 20 pounds within the past 5 weeks.

Step by step...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...