"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Time To Get BIG

As promised in last week's post today I am going to talk a little bit more about my new workout plan. This plan is designed as an "off-season" training to add quality, lean muscle mass.
The weights got heavier and cardio has been reduced from an hour every day to a short and crisp 30 minute session once a week.
As with my pre-contest workout, I dedicate each workout to one specific muscle group or body part and even kept the days I train a certain muscle group/part the same.
Monday is reserved for chest, Tuesday is back day, Wednesday I do abs, calves and cardio, Thursdays I work shoulders and traps, arms are trained on Fridays and on Saturdays I torture my legs.
What has changed are the exercises, the number of sets and the number of reps. I have added more compound exercises to the workout, added a couple more sets and decreased the number of reps from 12-15 to 8-10 reps for most exercises. Reducing the number of reps allows me to work with heavier weight and should help me to gain more strength and muscle mass.

Here is the chest workout I am currently following. I start out with 4 sets of incline barbell bench press as a compound exercise to work on the upper part of my chest, then continue with 4 sets of flat barbell presses as another compound exercise before moving towards more isolation exercises, such as machine incline chest press, machine wide grip chest press, flyes and pullovers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...